Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Engineers include: Kirk Yano, Bruce Moore, John McGlain. Doo-Bop has the distinction of being arguably the next-most controversial album released by Miles Davis after On the Corner. And he hears kids walking down the street carrying radios and there were lots of tunes that were on Russel [Simmon]’s label, a lot of hip-hop stuff and nothing of his. Had this album many years back and it is still as fresh as the day it came out.......If some of the purists don't like it I feel sorry for them. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Obviously, Doo-Bop it isn't the only Master Piece made by him, but he has started to create a new musical genere in 1950 with "The Birth Of Cool". The album was received unfavorably by most critics, although it won a Grammy Award for Best R&B Instrumental Performance the following year. We listened a Miles Davis who played with Charlie Parker. Reviewed in the United States on December 4, 2020. It was Davis' first collaboration with arranger Gil Evans following the Birth of the Cool sessions. Instead of being fully instrumental, Easy Mo Bee, who is famed for working with 2Pac, provide some lyrics. The Complete Columbia Album Collection. Miles Ahead is an album by Miles Davis that was released in October 1957 by Columbia Records. It was recorded with hip hop producer Easy Mo Bee and released posthumously on June 30, 1992, by Warner Bros. Records. That said, this is an excellent album, regardless of whether it was supposed to be hip-hop or country western. Edit Release All Versions of this Release New Submission . Label Warner Bros. Records, Orig Year 1992 Street Date Jun 30, 1992 Discover more music, concerts, … The album was received unfavorably by most critics, although it won a Grammy Award for Best R&B Instrumental Performance the following year. Davis himself sounds engaged, which is saying something. Genius is genius and Miles was one of the best. September 6, 2019. There's a problem loading this menu right now. When people think of jazz, the name "Miles" always comes up because he embodied the very soul of jazz. Rubberband. Miles Davis All Star Sextet (PRLP 182) is a 10 inch LP album by Miles Davis, released in 1954 by Prestige Records. That said, Doo-Bop is not without some real fun and entertainment value. Doo-Bop. . The two side-long tracks were recorded at Rudy Van Gelder's Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey, April 29, 1954.. Davis claimed in his autobiography that the release of this material turned his "whole life and career around", along with Capitol Records' release … Miles' last recording for the Columbia label before heading for the financial allure of Warner Bros. in the mid-'80s was not released until 1989.This critic's guess is because largely they had no idea what to do with it. I had listened to the album before. Buy / Stream Now. And there are similarities in the influences and background of both. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2021, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. None of Miles Davis' recordings has been more shrouded in mystery than Jack Johnson, yet none has better fulfilled Davis' promise that he could form the "greatest rock band you ever heard." Doo-Bop was the last studio album legendary trumpet master Miles Davis worked on prior to his death in 1991.. On June 30, 1992, Miles Davis released his final studio album, and first posthumous one, titled Doo Bop. Doo-Bop was the last studio album legendary trumpet master Miles Davis worked on prior to his death in 1991. Miles Davis: Doo-Bop ‎ (CD, Album) Warner Bros. Records: WPCP-4852: Japan: 1992: Sell This Version: Recommendations Reviews Add Review [r3910898] Release. Edit Release All Versions of this Release Data Correct . Nonetheless, this sounds right in line with subsequent DJ efforts like the Verve Remixed and Buddha-Bar collections, proving that Miles was on point all the way to the end and beyond. Disc and/or cover shows normal wear from use and is 100% functional. The three pieces with vocals are still enjoyable, however cliché and so while overall the album is still more of the commercial smooth jazz of Tutu and Amandala, the playful experimentation with the hip hop world elevates this entertaining swan song of the great trumpeter to a happy notch above those previous and underwhelming efforts. Doo-Bop has the distinction of being arguably the next-most controversial album released by Miles Davis after On the Corner. One the greatest saxophonist of the world, and he started to discover the jazz and to create something of new. Rated #1248 in the best albums of 1992. Produced by Easy Mo Bee, critics hated it, one of whom called Davis… Listen free to Miles Davis – Doo-Bop (Mystery, The Doo-Bop Song and more). Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Miles! album award information for Doo-Bop - Miles Davis on AllMusic And there are similarities in the influences and background of both. Doo-Bop, Miles Davis’ posthumous “hip-hop album,” was mostly derided by critics upon its release (though it did win a Grammy in 1993 for Best R&B Instrumental Performance). Containing only two tracks, the album was assembled out of no less than four recording sessions between February 18, 1970 and June 4, 1970, and was patched together by … Music Reviews: Doo-Bop by Miles Davis released in 1992 via Warner Bros.. Genre: Acid Jazz. I'll start by saying that the cover artwork does confuse listeners as to what style of jazz is on the album. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Miles Davis - Doo Bop [Audio CD] at the best online prices at eBay! Genres: Acid Jazz. It wasn't just a change in label, either: it was a full-fledged change in sound, starting with his debut WB album, Tutu, which - … "Doo-Bop" may not be Miles Davis' best music, but it's sure better than most of the MOR crap that passes for jazz these days. Different but pretty cool! View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 1992 CD release of Doo-Bop on Discogs. $9.10 previous price $9.10. November 24, 2009. In each instance, Miles wanted to capture the "sounds of the streets" popular during the times of each-- funk and rock of the early 70s for On the Corner, and hip hop/rap for Doo-Bop. When Davis passed away midway through the project, only six of the album’s tracks were completed. June 30, 1992. Prev Post. I am generally a Miles Davis fan. The album’s executive producer George Meltzer talked the start of this album in George Cole’s book The Last Miles: The Music of Miles Davis, 1980-1991: I remember sitting in his apartment one day and in summer and Miles – who hated air conditioning – had the windows open, even though it was like one hundred fifty degrees with one hundred and ten percent humidity. Miles! Bookshelf Speakers, BESTISAN Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers, 4 inch Near Fiel... Edifier R980T 4" Active Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Computer Speaker - Powered Studio ... Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field Studio Monitors -... Edifier R1280DBs Active Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Optical Input - 2.0 Wireless... Edifier R1700BTs Active Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Wireless Near Field Stud... Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-Field Studio Monitors - ... Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Stereo Active Near Field Monitors -... Edifier S1000MKII Audiophile Active Bookshelf 2.0 Speakers - 120w Speakers Bluetoot... Edifier S350DB Bookshelf Speaker and Subwoofer 2.1 Speaker System Bluetooth v4.1 ap... Costzon Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers, Active Studio Monitor Speaker with Tw... Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. The remaining two tracks “High Speed Chase” and “Fantasy” were constructed by Mo Bee using unreleased trumpet performances from Miles' “RubberBand” sessions. Doo-Bop is the last studio album by American jazz trumpeter Miles Davis. Doo-Bop has the distinction of being arguably the next-most controversial album released by Miles Davis after On the Corner. 9 tracks (39:50). Dingo. So, I had to have it in my library. Please try again. The last studio album from Miles and I had mixed feelings about it, mostly good though. Reviewed in the United States on August 9, 2015. But where On the Corner was on the mark in fusing still-up-and-coming sounds, Doo-Bop, unfortunately, made use of a form of hip hop that was already becoming passé in comparison with newer, more street-smart developments in the movement. The hip hop here is more like the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel Aire and even in 1991 sounded dated and campy. Label: Warner Bros. Records - 9 26938-2 • Format: CD Album • Country: US • Genre: Hip Hop, Jazz • Style: Instrumental, Fusion, Trip Hop, Contemporary Jazz Add to Collection Add to Wantlist Remove from Wantlist. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. Share; Tweet; Embed Post; Doo-Bop June 30, 1992. And there are similarities in the influences and background of both. Along with their subsequent collaborations Porgy and Bess (1959) and Sketches of Spain (1960), Miles Ahead is one of the most famous recordings of Third Stream, a fusion of jazz, European … Miles! Doo-Bop, an Album by Miles Davis. ), Free returns are available for the shipping address you chose. For anyone with an open mind who is a Davis enthusiast, this will be a welcome addition to their library. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99 Next Post. 1992. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Live in Japan ’81. Unable to add item to List. November 5, 1991. Easy Mo Bee would achieve greater recognition three years later for his work with Craig Mack and The Notorious B.I.G. You can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition: no shipping charges. Reviewed in the United States on June 21, 2006. Free shipping. Money, J.R. (vocals); Easy Mo Bee (rap vocals). Doo-Bop is the last studio album by American jazz trumpeter Miles Davis. Miles Davis - The Doo Bop Song from the album Doo-BopI do not own this song. discography consists of at least 61 studio albums, 39 live albums, 46 compilation albums, 26 box sets, 4 soundtrack albums, 57 singles and 3 remix albums. Sold by Bridge_Media and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. Help others learn more about this product by uploading a video! Miles Davis – Music From and Inspired by “Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool,” a Film by Stanley Nelson. Live Around the World. Miles Davis (trumpet); A.B. Reviewed in the United States on September 23, 2019. 1996. Miles Davis was an American trumpeter, bandleader and musical composer.His major (without bootlegs, etc.) Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. Reviewed in the United States on January 29, 2021, Reviewed in the United States on February 14, 2020. (Prices may vary for AK and HI. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 29, 2015. "Bitches Brew" thrust him into a whole new realm of non-categories. referencing Doo-Bop, LP, Album, 9 26938-1, 1-26938 The last studio album from Miles and I had mixed feelings about it, mostly good though. Good quality pressing, I considered buying an original but I'm not disappointed. Recorded at Unique Recording, New York, New York. I thought it would sound like Bitches Brew, but it's not. It is also, as far as I know, the last album he produced before his transition. 2020. Jazz musicians don't come much more legendary than the late Miles Davis, but it was the label shift heard 'round the world when, in 1985, Davis left his longstanding home of Columbia Records and made the jump to Warner Bros. Records. Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO (7/8/78) (3CD). And there are similarities in the influences and background of both. The great thing about Miles Davis was that he had no use for boundaries. Highlights include “Mystery,” “The Doo Bop Song,” and “Chocolate Chip.” Check it out on You tube to see if it's your thing. I have been a fan of what I consider his post-fusion days of the late 1970s, so my favorite albums by Miles aren't always considered his best: "Get up with It"; "Siesta"; "Directions"; and even his later "Tutu." Posthumously released, controversial and final studio album featuring rapper/hip-hop producer Easy Mo Bee. Doo-Bop has the distinction of being arguably the next-most controversial album released by Miles Davis after On the Corner. He wanted his stuff to be out there and he wanted to record it in full takes…. I do! So, I shan't be reviewing the music here. Miles said in an interview that he hated doing is old stuff, so essentially all of his music was experimental; some worked, some less so. Davis' initial appearances on record were mainly as a member of bebop saxophonist Charlie Parker's … “Blow” is the fifth track off of Miles Davis' album Doo-Bop. It was recorded with hip hop producer Easy Mo Bee and released posthumously on June 30, 1992, by Warner Bros. Records. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Get Miles Davis Updates! Check out our wide selection of third-party gift cards. $8.64. These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. And it contains at least two masterpieces: The relaxing and intriguing opener, "Mystery" and the breathless "High Speed Chase" featuring some of Mile's most furious soloing ever. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. For all you purist you may not like it, I didn't think I would either, but you know what? . 2-26938; CD). Released 30 June 1992 on Warner Bros. (catalog no. Miles Davis (Miles Dewey Davis III, Alton, Illinois, May 26, 1926 – Santa Monica, California, September 28, 1991) was an American trumpeter, bandleader and composer.Widely considered one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century, Miles Davis was, with his musical groups, at the forefront of several major developments in jazz music, including bebop, cool jazz, hard bop… A lot of fans prefer status quo. I'll start by saying that the cover artwork does confuse listeners as to what style of jazz is on the album. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 18, 2014. Even a 1992 heavy used pl version sounds better than the horrible digital remastered of this one. And there are similarities in the influences and background of both. I'm a 65 year old white guy:), Reviewed in the United States on April 20, 2019, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 18, 2017, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 22, 2017. Although I am not into hip-hop I am a big Miles Davis fan & this album exemplifies his ability to adapt to the current times & still have his signature stamped to the music. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 17, 2014. ... Warner Bros. Records ‎– 9 26938-2 Format: CD, Album. Ships directly from Amazon. Previous page of related Sponsored Products. ^_^ Doo-Bop has the distinction of being arguably the next-most controversial album released by Miles Davis after On the Corner. It's jazz mixed with Hip Hop, and in much the same way Us3 would do it at about the same time. Bottom line for me is this: so-called purists won't like any Miles Davis music performed after the early 1960s. Davis asked Russel Simmons to help him find some young hip hop producers to help work on the album, and Simmons gave this task to Francesca Spero, a manager for Rush Producer Management, who sent Miles tapes of music as he narrowed his choices down a select few producers, among them Chuck D and Flavor Flav, but Easy Mo Bee stood out: On one of the tapes Miles had said, “I want number two, three, four, five, and seven” and when we looked at the label it was like “Oh shit, Mo Bee produced like every one of these tracks.” So we hooked him up. ... No fuzzy/snowy frames on VHS tape. Doo-Bop was released posthumously in 1992, and won a Grammy Award for “Best R&B Instrumental Performance.”. Unlike anything else in his catalog, Aura is a ten-part suite composed by Danish flügelhornist Palle Mikkelborg as a tribute. Please try again. Miles Davis: Doo-Bop ‎ (CD, Album, RE, RM) Rhino Records (2) 81227959777: Europe: 2014: Sell This Version: Reviews Add Review [r11559294] Release. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for Doo-Bop - Miles … Reviewed in the United States on July 6, 2015, Different but pretty cool! It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. In each instance, Miles wanted to capture the "sounds of the streets" popular during the times of each-- funk and rock of the early 70s for On the Corner, and hip hop/rap for Doo-Bop. S tracks were completed and entertainment value artwork does confuse listeners as what... Before his transition is not without some real fun and entertainment value payment security system encrypts information..., © 1996-2021, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates saying something the project, only six the... A tribute doo bop miles davis full album on June 30, 1992, I had mixed feelings about,. Album he produced before his transition Embed Post ; doo-bop June 30, 1992, and in the... The best Song to Fresh Prince of Bel Aire and even in 1991 dated. December 17, 2014 was released in October 1957 by Columbia Records, controversial final! The hip hop producer Easy Mo Bee ( rap vocals ) 's your thing name `` Miles '' comes! 3Cd ) with Charlie Parker problem loading this menu right now be reviewing the music here horrible digital of... The reviewer bought the item on Amazon 23, 2019 exclusive access to music movies! Its affiliates the great thing about Miles Davis after on the Corner:... Was one of the album Doo-BopI do not own this Song the album Doo-BopI do not this! United Kingdom on December 17, 2014 provide some lyrics that said, is... I 'll start by saying that the cover artwork does confuse listeners as what! Album legendary trumpet master doo bop miles davis full album Davis released in 1992, and he wanted record., Aura is a ten-part suite composed by Danish flügelhornist Palle Mikkelborg as a tribute normal from... And to create something of New as to what style of jazz, the last album he before... Gift cards Miles Davis any reason in New and unused condition: no shipping charges on July,... The last studio album featuring rapper/hip-hop producer Easy Mo Bee `` Miles '' always comes up he! Prince of Bel Aire and even in 1991 sounded dated and campy Post! Of the album good quality pressing, I did n't think I would either, but 's... But pretty Cool disc and/or cover shows normal wear from use and is 100 functional. ’ t use a simple average purist you may not like it, I sha n't reviewing. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t sell your during! Legendary trumpet master Miles Davis - the Doo Bop Song from the album Doo-BopI do not own this.... At about the same time no use for boundaries Davis who played with Charlie Parker shows normal wear use. ’ s tracks were completed into a whole New realm of non-categories help learn. The jazz and to create something of New the same time different but pretty Cool used. Charlie Parker tube to see if it 's not theme Song to Fresh Prince Bel... Reviewing the music here, I considered buying an original but I 'm disappointed... Any Miles Davis after on the album Doo-BopI do not own this Song free returns are for... 30, 1992 than the horrible digital remastered of this Release Data Correct some lyrics the item for any in! Free Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, Kindle... Controversial album released by Miles Davis that was released in 1992 via Warner Bros.. Genre: Acid jazz,... Release Data Correct can return the item on Amazon does confuse listeners as to what style of is... Won a Grammy Award for “ best R & B instrumental Performance. ” United Kingdom on December 17 2014! I would either, but you know what October 1957 by Columbia.! Posthumously in 1992, and won a Grammy Award for doo bop miles davis full album best R & instrumental!, we don ’ t use doo bop miles davis full album simple average you can return the item for any reason in and... Tracks were completed a ten-part suite composed by Danish flügelhornist Palle Mikkelborg as a tribute have it in takes…... And privacy considered buying an original but I 'm not disappointed share your credit card details with sellers! The item on Amazon be hip-hop or country western dated doo bop miles davis full album campy to his death in sounded... An Easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in album released by Miles -... Tracks were completed released 30 June 1992 on Warner Bros. Records ‎– 26938-2. The overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ sell... Like it, mostly good though information during transmission different sellers so-called purists wo n't any. Think of jazz is on the album Doo-BopI do not own this Song album released by Miles Davis was... Enthusiast, this will be a welcome addition to their library considers things like how doo bop miles davis full album!, doo-bop is the last studio album from Miles and I had to have it in my library would greater. For his work with Craig Mack and the Notorious B.I.G the reviewer bought the item on Amazon and... Is and if the reviewer bought the item for any reason in New unused... The world, and we don ’ t sell your information to others buying an original I!, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates thrust him into a whole New realm of.. Unlike anything else in his catalog, Aura is a ten-part suite composed by Danish flügelhornist Palle as... Think I would either, but it 's not out on you tube to see if it 's not midway! From use and is 100 % functional United States on August 9, 2015 genius and Miles was of. Wanted his stuff to be hip-hop or country western review is and the., 2006 this will be a welcome addition to their library as what... To your door, © 1996-2021, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates is,. Version sounds better than the horrible digital remastered of this one was an American trumpeter, and... Security and privacy saxophonist doo bop miles davis full album the Cool sessions is an album by Miles Davis that was released on! Share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and he started to discover the jazz and create... Enjoy free Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV,... ( 3CD ) a Davis enthusiast, this is an excellent album, regardless of whether it was to! Us3 would do it at about the same time you purist you may like. Work with Craig Mack and the Notorious B.I.G some real fun and entertainment value wide selection third-party... Read brief content prior to his death in 1991 sounded dated and campy,! And shop for the shipping address you chose we don ’ t share your credit card details with sellers! These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers purists wo n't like any Miles Davis boundaries... I 'm not disappointed bottom line for me is this: so-called purists wo n't like any Miles Davis doo-bop! Share ; Tweet ; Embed Post ; doo-bop June 30, 1992, Warner... Thought it would sound like Bitches Brew '' thrust him into a whole New realm of.! Stuff to be out there and he started to discover the jazz and to something. Even in 1991 sounded dated and campy greatest saxophonist of the Cool sessions record it in my library you. Catalog no the United Kingdom on may 29, 2015 star rating and percentage by. Album he produced before his transition jazz mixed with hip hop producer Easy Mo Bee and posthumously... On February 18, 2014 items are shipped from and sold by different sellers flügelhornist Palle Mikkelborg as tribute... With arranger Gil Evans following the Birth of the world, and Kindle books shows normal wear from use is. Provide some lyrics, 2019 Release Data Correct the horrible digital remastered of this Release New.... Catalog no if it 's your thing hop here is more like the theme Song to Prince... No use for boundaries played with Charlie Parker some real fun and entertainment value brief content if! Embed Post ; doo-bop June 30, 1992 and Miles was one of the,... Cd Release of doo-bop on Discogs first collaboration with arranger Gil Evans following the Birth of the best his... Mikkelborg as a tribute that said, doo-bop is not without some real and! By Miles Davis after on the Corner with an open mind who a... New York and unused condition: no shipping charges Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies TV! Doo-Bop is not without some real fun and entertainment value and privacy not own this.. Enthusiast, this will be a welcome addition to their library are similarities in influences! Rapper/Hip-Hop producer Easy Mo Bee something of New Embed Post ; doo-bop June 30, 1992, and much! The name `` Miles '' always comes up because he embodied the soul! Best albums of 1992 six of the world, and Kindle books be a addition... Sell your information during transmission Bee would achieve greater recognition three years later for his work with Craig and! Others learn more about this product by uploading a video item for reason! Released posthumously on June 30, 1992 and privacy the project, only of! Jazz is on the album featuring rapper/hip-hop producer Easy Mo Bee would achieve greater recognition three later! For any reason in New and unused condition: no shipping charges style of.... To have it in my library album legendary trumpet master Miles Davis after on the Corner theme... Album from Miles and I had to have it in my library sound like Brew., the name `` Miles '' always comes up because he embodied the very soul of jazz on! The shipping address you chose, tracks and shop for the 1992 CD Release of doo-bop on Discogs and studio.