Hi Barbara – Growing vines up a tree is generally not a good idea unless it’s a small scale vine. Hi Nell, Now they look like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. You can give it a bigger pruning in late winter/spring. © 2020 Joy Us Garden | Care, Propagation, and Pruning About | Contact | PRIVACY POLICYDesign By Viva la Violet, Mother Nature Inspired Christmas Ornaments, Love it or hate it you can’t go 2 blocks without a, If you want it to grow against a wall or fence, then angle it that way. Not sure but it would be nice knowing what each variety’s cross was so we could plan planting better…..any ideas? More pinching = more color. The plant is in the ground not potted, and approximately 4-5 diameter. What do you suggest I’m afraid to cut it off but I’m willing to try anything! Add compost when planting & water deeply to establish. Hi Edie – Yes, there are about 15 varieties of variegated bougainvilleas that I know of. I now live in Tucson where the sun is stronger & much hotter so the steel sheeting would most likely burn it. This is the time I feed it and water it like crazy to produce new growth and a magnificent show of flowers. The showy paper-like structures are a modified leaf called a bract. Some grow to 25-30′. Another thing: I sold that house last year & moved to the AZ desert. My 4 bougainvilleas came through it just fine. Nell. Any resistant varieties that you know of? Nell. My first bougainvillea, so I had no, "I was looking to buy a bougainvillea, but I wanted it to be an outdoor plant. Color still, but small leaves that never got mature. You’ll need a strong support & a method of attachment. Bougainvillea takes pruning very well so don’t be afraid to do it. Beds are lots of sand and landscape gravel. Now that’s an Edward Scissorhands at it’s finest! Hi Nell, I’m so glad I found your post. I thought it was a shade area, but evidently the afternoon sun is baking everything for shade or partial shade I’ve tried. Hoping you can fill me in with some info. This is an already well established tree experiencing temperatures in winter of 18-22C (64-72F) and in summer of 23-30C (74-86F). "If you haven't got time to prune then plant your bougainvillea in a container. 1 or 2 nights of a light frost won’t harm them but anything more that could. I have a potted bougainvillea that I bought last year. I live in a hot, humid coastal town of India and am writing for an advice. I’m upset and don’t want to lose them! wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. That 1 plant is obviously a bit stressed so don’t prune it now. It is 95 gallon tree that we planted in its pot & cut holes for drainage. These plants are extremely drought tolerant and prefer very limited amounts of water. Nell, Why in the world have a bougainvillea if you can’t get any […], […] to attack the flowers and that’s a very good thing. Also, sometimes it takes them 2-4 of years after planting to really settle in & bloom. We are located in Southern California about 45 miles north of LA. Through this article, I have. Thank you again. ", certain climates. I’ve just moved to Palm Springs California. Could you possibly tell me what the variety is in your picture that has almost yellow leaves with dark reddish bracts that you have pictured. So, wait until next year or maybe even the year after. Hedge – just keep on pinching & pruning out all that soft growth. The showy bracts are typically found on new growth, with the biggest display following their winter dormancy. Hi Prabhakara – You’re welcome! Email address * Password * Lost your password? I recently purchased a plastic window box that measures 36″ long, 6″ deep. Nell, Hello . Check the top and underside of the leaves for bugs, and use an insecticidal soap, insecticide, or oil to get rid of them. You’ll see black droppings around the base of the plant. I live near Laguna Beach CA–south of you in Santa Barbara. in my country, the Philippines, started my collection. I can just slide my ring finger through. i would much prefer the roots to grown down into the soil, rather than laterally, which is how they are growing now. I can tell you that the roots should be able to grow through the cages just fine. Your article was complete, and answered my questions to, "Easy and informative steps to follow. Also, it is not some leaves but all the leaves on those sections of branches that are dying, I have pruned most of those branches off now but wondering what is causing this and if there is something I should do to help the situation. Maria. All the Hibiscus in our neighborhood have some kind of sticky film on them would this “blight” infect a healthy Bougi if I were to plant one in the empty spot? I wiped off a greyish white film on the leaves (not sticky) and it hasn’t returned. Thanks! They did just that. Also, you could get the color(s) that you want. I would like to replant it into the ground now and I read in one of the comments earlier you suggested planting the pot directly into the ground without taking the plant out. While changing the pots (shallow fairly small bonsai pot), I divided it in two, and I always get them outdoors from end of spring to the fall, and they have been doing great, blooming twice a year for several month, in winter or summer, it seems they don’t see the difference, if there is enough light, they will bloom, with or without direct sun. Unfortunately, I have a very cruel and diabolical neighbor who knows how much I love bougainvilleas and she poisoned it. So, I had my yard guy put it in the hole I had dug. Im a fan BTW, absolutely love them. I bought an orange one but it turned red. The trunks are quite large, and I fear they are root bound. Will they be ok being so close together or should I move one of them into a pot? Give them a good dose of compost & keep them well watered while establishing. It looked great in the shop but when I got it home all the pink petals have turned white and fallen off. But still, not performing as I expected them to. Nell, Hi Terry – Thank you for visiting our site. Can I leave my Bougainvillea in the large pot that it is in? Tabby cat on hedges with fence. How many times per day do I need to water the plant? 2 words – water deeply. We have a duplex and very little landscape area to plant. Thank you for sharing all your Boug intell…….I have made a lot of mistakes in the past and do not want to continue that pattern so I started looking for info and found you:) I am moving into a home in Southern CA and I have no idea how to handle an extremely mature , overgrown, slumpted over, beautiful blooming bougainvillea. I’m guessing that’s not correct. They never go totally dormant outdoors so I imagine it would take a while for the foliage to reappear in spring & consequently flower. Now, is this only achieved through grafting several different colored Bougainvilleas? ", de-pot and check for ants. Bougenvillias thrive here and we are not a dry climate. Nell. I’ve since learnt there are a few species involved i.e. For more tips on growing bougainvillea, like what to do with it during the winter, read on! These plants grow out & up & aren’t a clinging vine. Check what’s available in your area. Part of the front wall of the house is covered with this magnificent bougainvillea. – Dave (not the same David with the Oak tree! Do I need to remove more top soil? Hi Laurdess – I’m not at all familiar with planting bougainvilleas in seashells. Thank you for helping us spread the word & make the world a more beautiful place! It bloomed wonderfully in spring and summer of 2013. By the way, none of my other plants have been attacked by these pests. But since then, my mom added a lot top soil to roots thinking it would help protect and drying out (to the height of the paint stick in the photos). I have a a question. You can cut slits into the pot on the sides & bottom so the roots are able to grow out. She may be as old as me! Be sure & do it before August. I have recently planted some trailing lantana in front of them to cover the bare earth and have been watering those frequently. Although 98% of your information is solid info, you clearly have never been to Florida. I want to plant several in side yard but would be near septic system. Leaves are dark green and full, how do I get them to flower rather? Apply at least a 4-6″ layer of a good, organic, local compost & see what happens. If you are planning to have Bougainvillea in your garden, we provide you with all Bougainvillea uses and Bougainvillea Facts.If you are a passionate gardener, you should not only know how to take care of your plants but should also know their uses. Will the extra water I’m providing for the lantana further impact the bougs? The new “Sunvillea” series is worth checking out – colors are cream, pale pink & deep rose. Do you have any advise of how to use the Bougainvillea for flower arrangements? Also, you can plant your BK slightly at an angle going towards the T-pole which will help you in the training. Nell. I ordered one purple and one orange and wanted to grow them together. We currently live in the U.S. Any information would be appreciated. If the pot is too small, it could be potbound. Hi Laura – Established plants can withstand a hard freeze much better than younger bougies like yours.They’re native to the tropics so they don’t like those cold temps. If so, should I instead water manually, every week, 2 weeks, monthly, or not at all? Thank you for the great info. Now is a great time to prune it. Some varieties of bougainvilleas hold their color a lot better than others, so yes, that can be normal. When the wind blows many of the leaves of the Bougainvillea find their way into my veggie garden where I grow squash and peppers. Nell. They are attached to wire but I’m sure they’ll touch the steel. On a trellis or arbor – Attach it with tie & train & prune it as it grows. You can read our policies here. Nell. I gained a better understanding about the plant. can’t find info as to why my beautiful white bougs are turning pink…..is it possibly due to the heat here in palm desert, Hi Mary Ann – I touch on color change briefly in this post under “Flowering”: https://www.joyusgarden.com/care-growing-tips-bougainvillea/ There are 3 reasons that I know of as to why this happens: the variety changes color, the color changes as the flowers age & temperature. When i got the plant I repotted it and put it in the sun. I used to live in Berkeley in the 1980s. × What State Are You Shipping To? Love it or hate it you can’t go 2 blocks without a bougainvillea sighting. We want to grow a dense, hardy, colorful hedge about 100′ long, 2′ wide and 6-10′ high. Yes, they are so light & do float so that makes it easier. Hi Nell from India…I loved your blog about bougs. By the way, I love orange too. thinks, Hi – Thank you so much! I think she’s gonna be okay. I’ve had my bougainvillea since Aug 1 2015. Any other ideas? The other half of the plant not many blossoms but leaves look healthy. Hi there – I also live in SB and just got two boug. Any other thoughts? Approved. I lived in San Francisco for 20 years but there’s a lot of NorCal above that & to the east with many different climate zones so I can’t answer. Barbara Kast, I think. As I noted above in “planting”, angle them towards whatever they’ll be growing on. Thanks! Hi – Yes, Bougainvilleas do shed a lot but I call it a beautiful mess. Hi Lilian – That’s a tough one. I am wanting to plant some bouganvillea in our front bed (faces East). So I thought I would share with you my experience. Oh, I love to create so you’ll find a bit of that in the mix along with lots of videos too. However, I didn’t plant my boug in the ground. It immediately dried up and went brown. HI NELL