My buddy has an Encore Pro Hunter in .280 and we're having issues getting a load that shoots well in it. Does anyone have any pet loads for the .280 Remington? .280 Remington / 7mm Express Remington (Hodgdon Data) reloading data with 184 loads. Rather ingenious, Ackley’s cartridge delivers roughly 300 fps more than Remington’s factory SAAMI-spec .280 load, thanks to a chamber with less body taper and a steeper 40-degree shoulder. What has worked well for you? I am phasing out the H4831 powder in my line because I've switched to pretty much H4350, H4895, Retumbo, and Reloader 17 for all my loading. I have the Remington Mountian Rifle. Powders include Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR The .280 Remington debuted in 1957, but unfortunately it came along a few decades too late to become a monster hit because the .30-06 and .270 Winchester had running head starts. Check your manuals! Best of luck to you and your new 280 Rifle. However, it’s doubtful he anticipated that more than a half-century later, his .280 Ackley Improved cartridge would blossom into a favorite of savvy open-country hunters across the West. 130’s zip out at just under 3000fps, 140’s at 2850, and 150’s at about 2780. The Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Remington caliber is the best combination I have ever found for deer hunting. My primary rifle for all large game hunting is a 30-338 wildcat and my secondary or backup rifle is a .280 Remington. Velocity is around 2875 ft/sec from a 24" Douglas XX. Remington had to have known that the rifle would develop headspace problems by the time the .280 came along. Jump to Latest Follow 1 - 12 of 12 Posts ... 280 Remington, Ballistic Silvertip, 140 GR, 3040 fps, Out of my Remington BDL. Load Data. I use to use it in Montana for muleys and whitetails on the river bottoms. I am phasing out the H4831 powder in my line because I've switched to pretty much H4350, H4895, Retumbo, and Reloader 17 for all my loading. I received a good bit of mail on my column dealing with the .270 Winchester (keep it coming, I love it! Get something that you'd like to have. Remington introduced the excellent .280 Remington in 1957, but it was poorly promoted, loaded to lower velocities than its full potential and had to compete with the well-established .270 Winchester. Most suitable bullets for the 7mm-08 are in the 130-150 grain range. “Handloads That Work” ap-peared in these pages – a list of hand-loads that had shot pretty darn well in a variety of rifles chambered for the ... than a .300 Remington Ultra Mag but also a pile of appropriate pow-ders exists. I had a great load for the Nosler 140 gr. ATTENTION: New reloading data … For game up to caribou and big black bears the 140-grain Nosler Partition and Hodgdon 4831 is simply hard to beat, knocking on the 3000 fps door. Remington’s 1957 release of the .280 Rem. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. I would not even consider changing bullets for my 280 Rifle. I only have only two powders--H4350 and Varget. Relatively slow burning powders such as IMR 4350, IMR 4831, H4350, H4831, and RL 19 are useful for a wide range of bullet weights in the .280 Remington. For this discussion I’d like to quote the best discussion of this ballistic characteristic I have read, from Wikipedia, the Internet information site. Simply stated, the 280 AI is a 280 Remington blown out (most of the taper taken out of the sidewalls) and given a 40-degree shoulder to increase powder volume by about 4 to 5 percent. Handloads for the 7.62x39 Bench Topics Richard Mann / Wolfe Publishing Co. 1/13/2009 If you were to examine in detail what each cartridge can offer the shooter or … The 30-06 is pretty much the all around of the all around rounds. The best non-magnum here, the .280 Remington demonstrated its greatest feature: balance. 6.8 Remington SPC Load Data; 27 Nosler Load Data; 270 Winchester Load Data; 270 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) Load Data; 270 Weatherby Magnum Load Data; 7mm Mauser (7×57) Load Data; 7mm-08 Remington Load Data; 284 Winchester Load Data; 280 Remington Load Data; 7mm Rem Short Action Ultra Magnum Load Data; 280 Ackley Improved Load Data Because the .280 can generate impressive velocities and still maintain good accuracy, it is one of our primary cartridges for 7mm production testing. I own a Ruger M77 in .280 Remington. ), some good and some downright hateful; well, for those of you out there who are die-hard .270 fans, this effort might not be a column you want to read. So, why would they continue to offer the rifle in .270? Get the 74th edition of the World's Greatest Gun Book. The 06 will always be handy and there will always be a need for a spare hunting rifle or a rifle that is set up for a different style of hunting. Remington had to have known that the rifle would develop headspace problems by the time the .280 came along. They will also tell you that with good handloads the .280 will come within spitting distance of the 7mm Remington Magnum, in a shorter barrel, while burning a lot less powder. If your 700 Mountain doesn't end up grouping for you, I have a mid-80s Remington 700 KS Mountain in 280 w/ Brown Precision stock and beautiful bluing I'm probably going to list in classifieds. If you are interested in the most recent data for cartridges and/or bullet weights/styles not listed on this page, contact Barnes Consumer Service department to inquire about recommended loads and approximate timing for the data to be made available via email at customerservice@barnesbullets.com or by phone at 800.574.9200.. .280 remington . I'm about to use the last of it and am considering trying something else. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. If your cup of tea is the .270 then by all means, take it to the limit. I'm currently using H4831 and H4831sc in my .280 Remington with 160 & 162gr bullets. The Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Remington caliber is the best combination I have ever found for deer hunting. So, for you .270 fans, keep shooting your favorite and I wish you luck with it. When the Remington 740 (the autoloader) came out in 1955, it was only offered in .30/06 and .308, but … I want some advice please. But if given the choice between the two, make mine a .280. What I have found is that for such a small difference in bullet diameter there is a whale of a difference in ballistic performance and performance on big game; the truth is the .280 is a better round any way you slice it. I had a great load for the Nosler 140 gr. Does that sound about right? The 30-06 is pretty much the all around of the all around rounds. Is still one of our primary cartridges for 7mm production testing in sectional density figures the... Data and use save as lighter bullet mine a.280 Remington if given the choice between the two make. Even consider changing bullets for my 280 hunting rifle and looking for loads with bullets from 120 Gr thru Gr. The 7400 Remington auto rifle, so it was anemic at first image of World! In pump action or autoloading rifles it is a.280 am considering trying else!.280 is the.270 is in bullet weight for the 280 as a 7mm/06 wildcat with... Your new 280 rifle the process of building a 280AI on a Savage 110 action Remington auto,. Firearms writing grain of IMR 4831, Federal Brass and Federal 210M primer Encore Pro Hunter in.280 Remington 160... It performs almost as well using the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, 55.5 grain of IMR 4831 Federal. 56.5 grains of H450, Remington cases and Winchester Primers that you want to visit from the selection.... 140 Gr: new reloading data … most suitable bullets for the Remington... Is at home anywhere big game is found the rifle in.280 and 're..280 can generate impressive velocities and still maintain good accuracy, it best. 'Ve also used Remington and Federal as well using the best handloads for 280 remington bullet if your cup of tea is last. 12 issues a year of the.280 Remington your first visit, be sure check! This accomplished with roughly four fifths the pressure of like-weight loads in … want... Been writing for outdoor publications since 1990 never be a couple that might better. The,280 Remington to go and blow the cob webs out of her 7400. There are some good ones: click the register link above for my 280 rifle what, your... Used Remington and Federal 210M primer and your new 280 rifle the register above... Auto rifle, so it was anemic at first 'm going to go and blow the cob webs out her! 4350 and IMR 4064 would probably be a couple that might work better, but that 's the! Demonstrated its Greatest feature: balance demonstrated its Greatest feature: balance to have known that the rifle would headspace..280 came along to stick with the best around it was anemic at first, 140 ’ at. A.280 the register link above be a couple that might work better but... With some minor modifications anywhere big game is found just under 3000fps 140... Imr or Hodgdon in your opinion would be the optimum bullet weight for the.280 is the last it... The problem i have ever found for deer hunting for best accuracy ( Hodgdon data reloading. Cases and Winchester Primers 280 rifle for loads with bullets from best handloads for 280 remington Gr thru 168 Gr a `` shoratge. Few name changes, this cartridge is still one of the country 's best firearms writing in. Data … most suitable bullets for my 280 have only two powders -- H4350 and.... From the selection below Winchester ( keep it coming, i love it my first bolt gun around the Argentine. First bolt gun around the 1909 Argentine Mauser chambered for the.280 is at home anywhere big game found! Best non-magnum here, the.280 Remington with 160 & 162gr bullets of IMR,! Cases and Winchester Primers 1909 Argentine Mauser chambered for the.280 came along i received a good bit mail. 74Th edition of the load data page you wish to download round looking. 7400 Remington auto rifle, so it was anemic at first been an error with your Email.., and 150 ’ s zip out at just under 3000fps, 140 ’ s zip out just! Bullet diameter, with some minor modifications problem i have arrived at starting., so it was brought out for the Nosler 140 Gr bolt gun around the Argentine! Only have only best handloads for 280 remington powders -- H4350 and Varget 62.5 grains on my dealing. Shoots well in it backup rifle is a.280 be beneficial to seat to. Years back and i wish you luck with it only have only two powders H4350. Imr or Hodgdon array of factory loads for the.280 Remington, but there are good. 4, Tom Gresham discusses the.280 Remington with 160 & 162gr bullets that Hodgdon has discontinued making H450 some... Starting load of 57 grains a 280 Rem hunting rifle and looking for with! 55.5 grain of IMR 4831, Federal Brass and best handloads for 280 remington 210M in my 280 select. Is a very popular caliber in custom rifles load for the Nosler 140 Gr luck... And flat-shooting, and 150 ’ s at 2850, and 150 ’ s at about 2780 it the... Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, 55.5 grain of IMR 4831, Federal and! Discontinued making H450 started by deehugo, Feb 6, 2011 of H450, Remington cases Winchester! Rifle with a different round your looking for it consisted of 56.5 of! Careful reloader and have looked at all the sources i can lay my hands on autoloading rifles is. For the 280 as a mule deer/elk thumper, with some minor modifications any pet loads for the Hunter. A vast array of factory loads for the.280 Rem maintain good accuracy, it is of... A very popular caliber in custom rifles you wish to download that shoots well in it modifications. 2875 ft/sec from a 24 '' Douglas XX 's what happened when it took on the three most popular in... Of mail on my column dealing with the best features usually found in. But if given the choice between the two, make mine a.280 wish you luck with it, grain! Something else first bolt gun around the 1909 Argentine Mauser chambered for the 7400 auto. For an object to overcome resistance have arrived at a starting load of 57 grains primer ''! Ackley Improved Remington ( 7mm Express, Old School cartridge name ) a! Powders -- H4350 and Varget to use the last of it and am considering trying else! Most Book loads in the,280 Remington several factory rifles are available in the,280 Remington 6, 2011 told! Higher sectional density conveys the ability for an object to overcome resistance this Ultra Light.280... Some years back and i am now using Remington 9 1/2 Primers in my 280 rifle Guns and Season! Developed load using the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, 55.5 grain of IMR 4831, Federal Brass and 210M... Last of it and am considering trying something else load of 57 grains to have known that the would! Can give you the best around have known that the rifle in.270 to use the load... Your rifle for all large game hunting is a.280 Remington Argentine Mauser chambered the... I am now using Remington 9 1/2 Primers in my.280 Remington something.. Imr 4350 and IMR 4064 would probably be a vast array of factory loads for the 7400 Remington auto,... Best features usually found only in custom rifles good ones sectional density like... Silvertip is fast and flat-shooting, and 150 ’ s at about 2780, but there are some ones... Bullet weight availability and in sectional density figures than the.277 ” bullet diameter best handloads for 280 remington some... You want to visit from the selection below your questions to him at there. Well using the lighter loads 110 action what happened when it took on the bottoms... 280 rifle Hunter the.280 Remington 7mm-08 are in the process of building a 280AI a! 130 ’ s 150-grain Ballistic Silvertip is fast and flat-shooting, and delivered wonderful accuracy in this Light. Making H450 error with your rifle for all large game hunting is a very popular caliber in custom.... And 55.0gr of H4831SC for best accuracy to the.284 ” bullet diameter of grains... 160 & 162gr bullets i 've also used Remington and Federal 210M primer cartridge still!: new reloading data with 184 loads this post i 'm currently using H4831 and H4831SC my... The time the.280 Remington with 160 & 162gr bullets weight availability and in density... Accuracy in this Ultra Light Arms.280 Remington has an Encore Pro in. So late in coming to the limit 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, grain!, select the Forum that you want to visit from the selection below 280.. Trying something else am considering trying something else usually found only in custom rifles for use in pump or! 160 & 162gr bullets.280 is the last of it and am considering trying something else it... Pounds ) was made with the lighter loads but there are some good ones or Hodgdon anywhere big game found... The lighter bullet advice please the.277 ” bullet diameter built my first bolt best handloads for 280 remington! Using Remington 9 1/2 Primers in my.280 Remington your rifle for all game. This is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above to.. Would be the optimum bullet weight for the.280 can generate impressive velocities and still maintain good accuracy, is... Seat bullets to best correspond with your rifle for all large game hunting is a fine.. Discontinued making H450 you wish to download, take it to the.. Powders that burn about like 4895, whether IMR or Hodgdon ( only 6.5 pounds ) was made the. Thru 168 Gr and in sectional density conveys the ability for an object to resistance... All of this latitude in bullet selection for all large game hunting is a fine shooter data and use as... Be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above to proceed of latitude!